Monday 7 December 2009

Art Gallery

Today for math perspectives, we went to the National Art Gallery. The goal was to look at certain works, choose your favorite two and then relate them in some way to mathematics. I think my favorite work that we had to look at was Raphael's "The Crucified Christ.." The symmetry was outstanding. The center of the painting had the cross with Christ on it.. and could have been folded evenly down the center. It also had the same amount of people on each side of the cross, and the same with angels on both sides of Christ. It may not be perfect reflection symmetry, but in the sense that everything is even, it is symmetric. I also checked to see what its dimensions were online.. and according to the national gallery's website, it's 283.3cm x 167.3cm.. which is a ratio of 1:1.69, fairly close to the golden proportion. :)
The other painting that I thought was fantastic and symmetrical was Claude Monet's The Water-Lily Pond. There's just something really serene about it and the arched bridge seemed symmetrical to me. Almost reflection symmetry. It may not have been, and I may have just liked this painting. But regardless..one thing I did learn from the National Gallery is that.. I don't care for portraits.. but i love Monet and impressionism. Van Gogh isn't too bad either.. but I'd prefer to have seen Starry Night rather than wilted sunflowers that were supposed to represent hope and frienship. It seems a bit grim and ironic.

On that note..
5 days til home :)
10 til I see Kody! :D

No comments:

Post a Comment